Deer Management Task Force

For information on Deer Management from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation: NYSDEC – Deer Management

In NYS, there are several ways for managing deer through the NYSDEC:
1) Deer Management Permits (DMPs)
DMPS are a away to manage deer in LARGE geographic areas, Wildlife Management Units (WMUs), DURING deer hunting seasons.
2) Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAPs)
DMAPS are a way to manage deer in SMALL geographic areas, individual properties or cooperatives, DURING deer hunting seasons.
3) Deer Damage Permits (DDPs)
DDPS are a way to reduce damage problems on individual properties, WHILE damage is occurring.
1) Deer Management Permits (DMPs) –  What are they?
DMPS are used to manage deer in LARGE geographic areas, Wildlife Management Units (WMUs), DURING deer hunting seasons.
• Available in all of the Southern Zones and WMUs 6A, 6C, 6G and 6K in the Northern Zone.
• Available to hunters through the DECALS System from License Issuing Agents, the Department’s web-site, or by direct mailing to hunters.
• Only licensed hunters may use DMPs.
• Permits numbers are set by DEC based on management needs in each Wildlife Management Unit.
• Permits valid in all Southern Zone Seasons and starting November 1 in the Northern Zone.
• Allow the taking of antlerless deer only.
• Up to 2 DMPs available per hunter, depending on permit availability.
• An additional 2 DMPs may be consigned to a hunter from other hunters.
• DMPs valid for a specific Wildlife Management Unit.
• Hunters must report harvest to DEC.
• No fee, except $10 application fee with resident small & big game or nonresident big game license.
Application Deadline for DMPS
• Deadline for the initial application period is October 1.
• Remaining permits will be available first come-first served during the late application period.
For more information on Deer Management Permits.
***The Town of Hamilton is authorized to sell Hunting and Fishing Licenses.***

2) Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAPs) – What are they?
DMAPs enable biologists to help landowners and resource managers implement site specific deer management on their lands. DEC issues a special permit and a determined number of deer tags to a landowner or resource manager, or a group of landowners or resource managers, whose property is in need of site specific deer management efforts. DMAP permits are valid for use only during the open deer hunting seasons and can only be used by licensed hunters. Only deer without antlers or having antlers measuring less than three inches in length may be taken under the authority of a DMAP permit. Under DMAP, the landowner or resource manager is responsible for distributing the antlerless deer tags. They are also required to maintain and submit a summary report to DEC listing the deer taken. DMAP is intended to supplement but not replace Deer Management Permits on specific sites. In some situations, Damage Permits may also be necessary to help landowners reduce deer numbers.

Am I eligible for DMAP?
To be eligible for DMAP, applicant(s) must own or control lands in New York State that meet one of the following criteria:
• Land where agricultural damage has been documented or can be documented by the DEC, or:
• A municipality that has a documented deer problem and a DEC approved plan for deer management, or:
• Land where deer damage to significant natural communities has been documented or can be documented by the DEC, or:
• Land contained in one or more parcels totaling 100 or more acres and sharing a contiguous boundary where forest regeneration is negatively impacted by deer. This negative impact must be identified in an existing forest and/or land management plan for the land, or:
• Land contained in one or more parcels totaling 1000 or more acres and sharing a contiguous boundary that is being managed for improved herd characteristics such as Quality Deer Management (QDM). A deer management plan is required.
Two or more landowners with contiguous boundaries may cooperate to meet the above acreage requirements to be eligible for DMAP.

What will DMAP do?
• Control targeted populations of white-tailed deer.
• Reduce agricultural and plant community property damage.
• Improve landowner and sportsmen relationships. Times and public attitudes have changed; landowners no longer provide the level of open access they once did. DMAP offers an avenue for landowners to meet deer management needs on their property, while providing an incentive to give licensed hunters access to deer and deer hunting.
• Help to provide sound deer management practices, such as Quality Deer Management, to produce custom white-tailed deer hunting opportunities.

How do I apply for DMAP?
• Call your DEC regional wildlife office to request a DMAP Application or download the DMAP Application and Instructions. Click here for the application.
• You may be required to submit a deer management plan describing the background and scope of the deer problem or stating the deer management goals.
• Applications for permits valid during the fall big game hunting seasons must be postmarked by September 1.

3) Deer Damage Permits (DDPs) aka ‘Nuisance Permits’ – What are they?
DDPs help to reduce damage problems on individual properties, WHILE damage is occurring.

Often called “Nuisance” or “Damage” permits.
• Available throughout the state.
• Applications available to landowners from DEC Wildlife offices.
• Taking by permittee and approved agents only.
• Eligibility for permits is based on property damage and the lack of, or failure, of other practical alternatives to alleviate the problem.
• Permit may be limited to harassment techniques or allow the taking of deer.
• Permits generally are NOT available during an open deer hunting season.
• Usually for antlerless deer only.
• DEC issues tags to permittee for a limited number of deer.
• Permit activity limited to lands specified on the permit.
• Permittee must report all deer taken to DEC.
• No charge.

Application Deadline: Contact the DEC – Permit issued when damage warrants it.