Town Clerk / Tax Collector

Sue Reymers
Town Clerk
Registrar of Vital Statistics
Records Management Officer
Tax Collector
Notary Public


Office Hours:
Monday – Friday
9 am – 1 pm | 2 pm – 4 pm | and by appointment.

PHONE: (315) 824-3380 | FAX: (315) 824-0246
Or Email:

The Town of Hamilton has Birth, Death and Marriage Records from 1847 – Present, with most records Missing from 1851-1884, possibly due to the great fire in 1895. The town does not have any records prior to 1847. We recommend contacting the Hamilton Public Library for more information on finding records or information from that period. Or see below under Genealogy for more information.

ANYONE WHO WAS BORN OR WHO DIED AT THE HAMILTON HOSPITAL – THOSE RECORDS ARE ON FILE WITH THE VILLAGE OF HAMILTON. Please do not call the Town Office as we do not have any information or access to these records. Again, records from Births and Deaths which took place at the COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL beginning in 1952 ARE ON FILE with the Village of Hamilton’s office, 3 Broad Street in Hamilton, (315) 824-1111. Thank you.

The Town of Hamilton handles Marriage Licenses. Anyone getting married in NYS can obtain a Marriage License from any Town or City Clerk. A license is valid for sixty (60) days, unless one of the party is active military which allows for more time. There is a 24 hour waiting period once the license is issued.
Cost: $40 (cash or local check only)
Approximate Time for Application Process: 20-30 minutes
How to obtain a license: By appointment. Walk-ins subjected to time availability. Please call the town office at (315) 824-3380 to schedule an appointment.

Both parties MUST bring:
~Proof of Identification – either a driver’s license, passport or other form
~Proof of Age – such as Certified Birth Certificate or similar
~If either party has had a previous marriage, proof of dissolution of the marriage(s) is required for verification.
All documents presented must be certified. Photo copies are not acceptable.

Need a copy of your marriage certificate? Replacement copies of marriage certificates originally issued in Hamilton are available. A Request Form is required along with a fee of $10. Proof of identity is required. For instructions and the application form, please click on this link: Town Clerk Forms

Do you need to authenticate your marriage license for use in a foreign country? Click here for more information: NYS Department of State

The Town of Hamilton ONLY maintains Birth and Death Certificates for anyone who was born or passed away outside the Village of Hamilton’s limits, such as a home birth. We do not have records for anyone who was born or passed away at the Hamilton Hospital. Those records are with the Village of Hamilton.

For copies of records at the Town office, there is a $10 fee and a Formal Request Form must be filled out. Restrictions apply for access to records. For instructions and the application form, please click on this link: Town Clerk Forms

What types of vital records are available from the Town of Hamilton Clerk’s Office?
Uncertified copies of the following types of records are available for the purposes of Genealogy Research. Records will be released subject to the following requirements:
**BIRTH: The birth certificate has been on file for at least 75 years; and
the person to whom the birth certificate relates is know by the applicant to be deceased.
No information shall be released from a sealed birth certificate.
**DEATH: The death certificate has been on file for at least 50 years.
**MARRIAGE: The marriage certificate has been on file for at least 50 years; and
the bride and groom are known by the applicant to be deceased.

Are the above time periods ever waived?
Yes, the time periods are waived for direct-line descendants (e.g. child, grandchild, great grandchild)
and must provide the following:
**Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
**Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
**Proof of the death of the couple whose marriage certificate they are requesting.

What are the fees for a genealogy search?
Standard fee is $22.00 for a single search up to three years. See the form General Information and Application for Genealogical Services for additional fees. For instructions and the application form, please click on this link: Town Clerk Forms

NYS Department of Health – Vital Records
NYS Archives – Birth, Death and Marriage Records
LDS Genealogy – Hamilton, NY
Genealogy, Inc. – Madison County

(NYS Department of Environmental Conservation)
Hunting, trapping and fishing licenses available at the Town Office. New licenses require a hunter safety course. The DEC website lists safety courses, dates and locations. The license years run from October 1st of the current year to September 30th of the following year.

DEC – or by phone – (518) 402-8843.

Town of Hamilton residents may obtain a temporary or a permanent handicap parking permit from the Town Office without charge. The attending physician must fill out a form indicating which permit is applicable. Temporary permits are good for six months and permanent permits for five years.

Forms at

Did you know that you need to license your dog in NYS?
Every dog, regardless of age, owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days, must be licensed.
Where to Obtain a License:
Apply for a dog license at the Town Clerk’s Office. Annual license renewals can be done by mail or in-person at the Town Clerk’s Office. Renewal paperwork will be sent directly to the dog owner from the Town one month before the expiration date.
Cost to obtain a License:
Spayed/Neutered Dogs – $ 7.00
(Proof of spaying or neutering must be provided.)
Unspayed/Unneutered – $ 15.00
**There are no license fees for guide dogs, war dogs, hearing dogs, police dogs or service dogs, but they still need to get a Dog License.
**ALL Licenses REQUIRE proof of rabies certification.
Click here for a new dog license form.
Wanderers’ Rest Humane Association
(315) 697-2796 | WRHA Website

The Hamilton Transfer station is located on Cranston Road, Poolville. 315-691-5700
Hours: Wednesday and Saturday from 7:10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Required punch cards cost $15.00 and contain 5 punches, with the amount of waste determining the number of punches used. Punch cards are non-refundable and no exchanges are allowed. Residential waste decals, obtained at the Transfer Station, are to be displayed on the vehicle bringing the waste and are valid for the duration of the vehicle’s use.

More info at or call the Madison
County Dept. of Solid Waste main office at 315-361-8408.

 – Town and County Property Taxes
Through a shared services agreement, the Madison County Treasurer’s Department collects Town and County taxes. If you need a copy of your tax bill, call the Town office at (315) 824-3380 or email us at:

Q: Where can I get a 911 address for my property?
A: Contact the Madison County Sheriff’s Department at (315) 366-2318.

Community Resources:
Learn more about Resources for Seniors: Senior Guidance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *